Saturday, January 10, 2015

at liberty to offend????

I Corinthians 6:12-20 offers us a vision of how our "Christian Liberty" has limits, especially regarding how we might "use or betray people for our own pleasure", according to Paul.
I Corinthians 10:23 - 11:1 offers us a vision of how our "Christian Liberty" does not trump our need to be accepting of others' traditions and beliefs and respectful with them.

I do not believe that we should shy away from speaking the truth in love.  I also believe that we should not seek to provoke conflict with the truth.

I do not believe that we should flaunt our "Christian Liberties" or "American Freedoms" just because we can do so.  If it distances us from another person, and we do so, it is our sin.  If it offends someone else, and that is our aim, then it is our sin.

I am not easily offended.  If someone purposely provokes me by baiting me with our differences, I do not feel the need to strike out at them.  I also do not actively, purposefully provoke others because of our differences.  I believe it is contrary to Jesus' command that we live Agape Love, even with stranger and enemy.

My God is greater than having a need for me to defend my God's honor. 
My faith is greater than to believe that everyone needs to have the same belief.
My love is greater than putting enmity between me and others who are different from myself.
My integrity is greater than to purposefully and intentionally provoke others or offend them.

I believe that Jesus' Greatest Commandment trumps sophomoric expressions of liberty.  As an adult, I understand that. 

Jesus' Greatest Commandment also prohibits me from starting to believe that I have some inalienable right to discriminate against others, keep them back, down or out, or raise questions about their humanity.  To do so would lower MY humanity and relationship with my Lord of the Greatest Commandment.  To do so would be my sin.

We are NOT at liberty to purposefully, intentionally or consciously offend others, according to Paul and Jesus.

Pastor Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment