Sunday, October 30, 2016

a piece of my mind

Those of you who know me know that I do not shy away from giving a piece of my mind, though as you also know, I do not have too much to spare.  I will give you my 2 cents worth every time, and with inflation being what it is, that is not worth the full amount.

BUT...

I strive to live what Jesus taught, commanded and modeled on how His followers should live in THIS PART of God's Kingdom, here and now.

I believe that Agape Love is at the center of what Jesus shared with the world, and that it is commanded.

So, when I read that I am to "love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your MIND; and your neighbor as yourself." (Luke 10:27), I believe that that is EXACTLY what God wills of me, according to Kingdom values.

And when I read in Paul's scrumptious theology of the Gospel in Romans (12:2) that we are not to be conformed to this world, but rather "transformed by the renewing of your MINDS - so that you may discern what is the will of God - what is good and acceptable and perfect," I take that seriously.

I believe it all starts with Jesus' first Imperative (Mood) statement, a command, in the first Gospel written, in the first chapter - Mark 1:15.  With what did Jesus START His proclamation of the Good News?  "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; REPENT, AND BELIEVE IN THE GOOD NEWS."  And as we all know, metanoia (repent) means to change one's mind/thinking, so that one's direction will change.

This faith is a deeply emotional thing for me, too.  I still quiver to think that Jesus was sent to show me God's Way for me, and then suffered greatly and died horribly on my behalf.  It brings me to tears, "When I survey the wondrous Cross", that "alas, my treason, Jesus hath undone Thee; 'twas I, Lord Jesus, I it was denied Thee; I crucified Thee."  (the hymn Ah, Holy Jesus)  and that "my sin, o the bliss of this glorious thought, my sin not in part but the whole IS NAILED TO THE CROSS AND I BEAR IT NO MORE" (When Peace like a River).  My soul DOES Praise the Lord!  I am thankful.  I am grateful.  It makes me want to love this Lord my God with ALL that I have, including my MIND.

Because it is NOT just about my heart.  It is about my MIND and my Neighbor that my soul is filled, touched and moved.  I believe that Jesus' Good News cannot be understood, accepted or lived unless I DO "change my mind and thinking, so that my direction" is in following Jesus' Way.  I have received a lot of emotional appeals by preachers and authors that have at times made me think that this faith in Jesus is all about Worship and Praise, Tithes and living a pure and holy life.  But when I read the teachings, commands and examples of Jesus in the Gospel witnesses, I see that this is not ALL ABOUT ME.  It is not all about making me feel the ecstasy of Worship and Praise.  It is not all about making me get more blessed and highly favored than someone else, or gaining monetarily or in power or prestige in the world.  It is NOT about MY purity or holiness.  It is about God and faithfulness to God's Way.  It is about Neighbor.  It is about US.  It is about COMMUNITY living God's Kingdom values.  That often requires sacrifice of 'self'.

This faith is about following Jesus TO THE CROSS.  It is not just about the future glory beyond that for myself, but the living of Kingdom values in THIS PART of God's Kingdom, here and now.  It is about living in self-sacrifice out of Agape Love that lifts up "the least of these" (Matthew 25:31-46).  It is about being an advocate for others who are powerless or voiceless in the world, standing with them as they confront the corrupt systems (social, political, economic) that hold them down, back and out.  It is about LIVING the Agape Love that Jesus commanded, taught and modeled for us in the Gospels.  Yes, I must REPENT from the thinking that this is all about me feeling good and getting what I want, in order to follow Jesus.  As Paul put it, anyone who would follow Jesus must have "the same MIND in you that was in Christ Jesus, who, though He was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, but emptied Himself, taking on the form of a slave, being born in human likeness.  And being found in human form, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death - even death on a cross." (Philippians 2:5-8)  If I want to be a follower of Jesus, I must follow Jesus there.

So, I must constantly change my mind/thinking from what the prevailing "winds of doctrine" say by those with "itching ears" to hear what they want to hear.  I must rather look to what Jesus taught, commanded and modeled as I have that in the Gospels, in order to find what God wills for me in my life.  Then, I must constantly renew my mind so that, having the same mind in me that was in Christ Jesus,  I am able to love God with all my heart, soul, strength and mind.

It ain't rocket science or brain surgery.  It's not hard to understand.  It is hard to get our MINDS around because we have heard so many other, conflicting messages and it is hard to live.

It starts with repentance - a changing of one's mind/thinking, so that one's direction will change.

Imagine how good it will FEEL when we know that Neighbor (even stranger and enemy according to Jesus in Luke 10:25-37) has what neighbor needs for wholeness, completeness and well-being.  If we love Neighbor as "self", as we are commanded, we will certainly strive for that on behalf of our Neighbor.  Imagine how GOOD IT WILL FEEL when that is true of ALL God's children?  Can you think like that?  Can you follow Jesus in that direction?

I DO MIND, do you?

Pastor Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment