Sunday, April 8, 2018

Grace or Law?

It seems to me that following Jesus means making choices about how I live my life and how I see the world and treat those in it.

I did not choose to believe in Jesus.  I was created to be in a relationship with God.  I was given Faith as a gift.  It is a part of me.  The Holy Spirit moves me to faith in Christ Jesus, even relentlessly.  I passively accept that as my state of spiritual being, and actively strive to follow Jesus as my Rabbi, my Redeemer and Lord of my life.

I believe that Jesus' Way in the Gospels is a better way for us on how to live in THIS PART of God's Kingdom, here and now.

It is centered on Agape Love - "ACTIVE COMMITMENT ON BEHALF OF THE OTHER, EVEN STRANGER AND ENEMY, AND ESPECIALLY THE MOST VULNERABLE" (Lk. 10:25-37)

It is also centered on Grace - "UNDESERVED LOVING MERCY GIVEN FREELY."  (Jn. 1:14-18)

God has been Gracious with me.  I do not deserve it.  I KNOW that I do not deserve it.  I am not only sinful by my nature, but have acted on THAT nature and have sinned, which has hurt people who God loves and has therefore hurt my relationship with God.  God has loved me with Agape Love, however and is "Gracious and Merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love."  God has forgiven me.  I live within God's Grace.  I am filled with God's Agape Love.  For that I am thankful, grateful and determined to live that out in the world around me.  I know what it has meant to me, and I know what it can mean to others.  When others have been Gracious and Loving with me, I have seen it as God's work through them to put Grace and Love into my life.  I want to be God's instrument of that in the lives of others around me, because I know how much it has changed my life to receive that. 

Those who live by the Law often do not understand Grace and Love.  There are a number of things that prevent that:
    1. The Law is about keeping rules, rather than about living in Covenantal relationship.  Folk who live by the law tend to live a "check list" existence, making sure they keep the letter of the law, but not worrying so much about the intent of it in enhancing relationship.  There is a tendency to do just enough and not do just enough to be in compliance with a set of rules, rather than faithful to our relationship with God and neighbor.  As long as they do not sin, they believe that they are righteous...
    2. ... so, it inevitably feeds a perspective built on "self-righteousness" by living the Law.  Rather than understanding that our only righteousness is in Christ Jesus, because we rely on God's Grace, given our sinful nature, folk try to deny their sinful nature and live above and beyond that, not out of response to God's love, but rather to earn their merited righteousness status and with it salvation.  It negates the gift of Grace and Mercy on the Cross, and sets us up for the pitfalls of self-righteousness...
   3. ... making us aware of our COMPARATIVE righteousness with others around us, it makes us judge others for not being "as righteous" as we are in keeping the Law.  Now, if I only have to be better than someone else, then I can look for loopholes in the Law that would allow me to do what I want, even sin at will, while twisting the Law to rationalize or justify my actions.  I can judge others for their "sins" and excuse myself for my own.  I can withhold mercy and Grace from others, while expecting it for myself...
   4. ... you see, that's the thing.  Being conservative means that I want Grace and Love for myself, but feel legalistically justified in withholding it from others, and even sometimes obligated to do so.  I believe I should have everything that I want, because I am "righteous", but should not let others have the same, because they are not, and I can prove that they are not.  That is the Conservative, Law-oriented mindset in this world.

But JESUS...

COMMANDED Agape Love and Grace as our way of being in the world around us - which is God's Kingdom.

Jesus COMMANDED us to NOT JUDGE and to FORGIVE... and said that what we give in either or both of those is what we will receive, "a good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over (and) put in your lap."  (Luke 6:27-38)

Jesus TAUGHT those who would judge others for their seeming lack of adherence to the Law, to learn what it means when God says, "I desire mercy, not sacrifice." (Matthew 9:10-13)

Jesus MODELED Agape Love and Grace in that He did not come to be served, but to serve and in the giving of His life for sinners on the Cross.

Jesus FULFILLED the Law and Prophets in "So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do so to them; for this is the law and prophets."  (Matthew 7:12)

I believe that we are called to be VERY CONSERVATIVE in our judgment of others, and VERY LIBERAL (generous toward the well-being of others) in our forgiveness of them - CONSERVATIVE in our punitive thinking with regard to others' words, behaviors and actions and LIBERAL in our graciousness and kindness with them.  CONSERVATIVE in our denial of others what they need and LIBERAL in making sure that they have SHALOM (completeness, wholeness and well-being) in their lives.  I believe that we are called to adhere to Jesus' Law of Agape Love and Grace, and strive to live it openly, fully and faithfully in every aspect of our lives, here and now.

THAT is following Jesus.  THAT is faithfulness to what Jesus taught, commanded and modeled for us on how to live in THIS PART of God's Kingdom, here and now. 

Pastor Jamie



No comments:

Post a Comment