Sunday, May 6, 2018

heartening...

It is heartening for me to see and read the reactions to the horrible intolerance being perpetrated on the "strangers" Jesus called "the least of these", who are to be welcomed by any who follow Jesus.

It is heartening for me to see people gather together to say, "NO!" to the hatreds displayed as normative by a few hateful people.

It is heartening for me to see people stand up and say, "NO MORE!" to those who profit off the selling of weapons of mass destruction designed to create death on a large scale in public gatherings like schools.

It is heartening for me to see people help the poor, who were created by an unjust economic system and who are scapegoated and further victimized by the most ruthless and greedy in our nation.

It is heartening for me to see people refuse to see the ignorance, hatefulness, greed, lust for power and desire for status as a normative value in our nation.

It is heartening for me to see people continue to strive to provide healthcare for all people, especially the most vulnerable "least", who are to be cared for according to Jesus.

It is heartening for me to see people work toward a justice system that is equal for all and does not single out one particular segment of society for targeted, unjust oppression.

It is heartening for me to see people work toward equal education for all children, that will lead to more equal opportunities in their lives.

It is heartening for me to see people work toward bringing a living wage for all workers and equal pay for everyone who does the same jobs.

It is heartening for me to see people work toward regulation on those who would fleece much of the population for the gain of the few.

It is heartening for me to hear ANY pastor who will address the darkness in our world with the light of the Gospel of Jesus in Agape Love and Grace.

And it is heartening for me to see that the ELCA has elected its first African-American female Bishop, and in SE Pennsylvania where I live.  Congratulations, Rev. Patricia Davenport!  Congratulations, Southeast Pennsylvania!  Congratulations, ELCA!

It is heartening for me to know that in the middle of this dark resurgence of hatefulness in racism, ethnocentrism, homophobia, classism and religious intolerance a church body has had the openness to the Holy Spirit to act on God's inspiration toward love and inclusion in love.

Pastor Jamie

1 comment:

  1. Thank you pastor Jamie. Too often we concentrate only on the negative. Find listing many things that hearten you you are doing us a great service. You remind me that you can catch more flies with honey than with salt.

    May God bless you and your loved one give you peace.

    ReplyDelete