Saturday, September 29, 2018

What is a Christian?

I learned early on that a "Christian" is someone who follows the Christ - someone Christ-like - a "little Christ", if you will. 
Jesus' followers were disciples - student followers who were devoted to Jesus as teacher and to His teachings, and then to Jesus as Lord and Savior.


I have a troubling conundrum, however.
I witness people claiming to be Christian and professing devotion to Jesus, the Christ, who do not devote themselves to what Jesus taught or submit to Jesus as Lord of their lives by following what Jesus taught and modeled.


Now, I know that the umbrella of Christianity is very large.  I accept that.  But shouldn't a devotion to following what Jesus taught and modeled for us be the defining factor for those called by the name of the Christ?
Jesus, who said that in order to be His disciples, we must abide in HIS Word, obey HIS commands and live the Agape Love that HE commanded, taught and lived - does this Jesus not expect those who would be called by His name to at least strive to live by what He taught?


I see people who profess to be Christians judging others, though Jesus commanded us not to judge.  Not only do many folks judge, but they justify it with other parts of the Word that Jesus fulfilled.


I see people who profess to be Christians refusing to forgive others, though Jesus commanded it.
Again, they use parts of the Word to justify what Jesus clearly commanded His followers not to do.


I see people concerned about earning their salvation through praise, worship and tithes - Jesus talked about salvation in the context of how we treat the most vulnerable among us, even stranger and enemy.


I see people concerned about getting more for themselves, when Jesus very clearly made material wealth not only unimportant regarding Kingdom values, but warned against greed as the enemy of faith in Him.


I see people wanting to control the lives of others and how they live, when Jesus clearly spoke about the hypocrisy of trying to control others out of hubris, rather than humbly examining the self.


I see people claiming Jesus' name and using their political position and power to hurt the most vulnerable.


I see people claiming Jesus' name and running their businesses off the backs of people they routinely
exploit, mistreat, underpay and then throw away when they are done with them, though Jesus' teachings and parables give a different view of Kingdom values.


I see people claiming Jesus' name and wanting to have status in society above others, though Jesus raised the humble and humbled the elevated in society.


I see people claiming Jesus' name and intentionally voting for candidates who represent gains for them, knowing that it means losses for others around them.


I see people claiming Jesus' name and hating others who are different from them and actively trying to hold them down, back or out - even trying to destroy their lives, though Jesus taught Agape Love - committed action on behalf of the other, even stranger and enemy, and especially the most vulnerable.


I see faith leaders who claim Jesus teaching prosperity for some instead of manna living for all, personal power over others instead of the humble lifting up of all and status over others instead of loving community and fellowship for all.


I see polititians claiming Jesus and ignoring His teachings in how they govern.


I see business people claiming Jesus and ignoring His teachings in how they do business.


I see citizens claiming Jesus and hating others not like them and voting for those who will hurt their sisters and brothers, even sisters and brothers who share their faith.


I also see that some have claimed Jesus and have created their own definition of "American Christian" that has included their idolatry of ideology, nation, race, ethnicity, sexuality, economic class and gender.  Some of them claim this to be a "Christian nation" while doing and saying the most un-Christ-like things.


Does this make folk "bad Christians"?  They are not following the Christ, not "little Christs" in this part of God's Kingdom, here and now.
Can they claim to even be "Christians"?  Why would they claim to be and not follow the Christ?


I believe that Gandhi perceived the problem long ago, though certainly there were others long before him who did the same - "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."


I ask again - What is a Christian?
Much more these days, in this climate, I confess that I prefer to call myself -
A PERSON OF THE WAY OF JESUS, as I strive to live the Agape Love that Jesus taught, commanded and modeled for any who would follow Him.


Pastor Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment