Sunday, June 9, 2019

Inseparable

God is One.
Word was from the beginning, then made flesh.
Spirit moved over the abyss.
God created.

We will no doubt hear and/or see illustrations of H2O in liquid, gaseous and solid form.
We will no doubt hear and/or see examples of how the same person can be a daughter, sister and aunt.
We will no doubt be given the example of egg with shell, white portion and yoke.

These are helpful for children, I think, or can be.

But for me, the wrestling with God is the thing, and I cannot win because God cheats.  Ask Jacob.
It is the ultimate tag-team match with God ganging up on me.
When I have some argument with the Creator and Old Covenant God over the propensity of followers
     to justify horrible acts by focus on God as being "wrathful", "jealous" and "unfair," I have to
     wrestle with Jesus and the tremendous Grace that Jesus sacrificed Himself to give freely.
When I beef with Jesus over inactivity in the world, even though I detest the claims of supernatural
     intervention that some make in order to dupe God's children, I cannot ignore the Holy Spirit
     whose sole purpose is to drive us to Jesus' Good News of a better way than empire, and Jesus'
     command to actively commit to one another's well-being.
And when I am impatient with the Spirit's progress, I am struck by the perseverance of a God who
     has worked to bring us to faithfulness to God and one another since the beginning.

I have no argument.  God is God.
Oh, make no mistake, I will still wrestle and have my pride put out of joint, often.
God always wins, because God cheats.  God is God and still wrestles with humans.
It is MY nature that is the problem, not God's.

So, there is a whole divine community, refusing to fall into emotional or ego-driven triangulation, present and powerful and loving of us.  A whole divine council in one, loving us unconditionally, providing us with a better way and driving us to it.  A tribunal of judge, defense and counselor working to bring us back from the brink of isolation, insanity and therefore a lack of well-being.

In my pugilistic moments, of which I have many, they are a force to be reckoned with.
In my moments of need (sometimes the same ones), they are the same on MY behalf.

The point is this - we are inseparably linked - God and humanity.
Walk, hand in hand, dance or wrestle with God, we are joined and always will be.
Even as God is one, it is God's desire that we be one with God and with one another.
It is not just a Tri-unity.  It is UNITY of being that is God's desire.
The Trinity is just our example, another teaching, a model of how it is to be with all of us, together.

Thanks be to God - all of you!

Pastor Jamie

By the way-
I have always enjoyed the portrayal of Jesus in JOSHUA, by Joseph F. Girzone,
and of the Trinity in THE SHACK, by William P. Young.  I still wrestle with them - with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment