Saturday, October 5, 2013

connected

So, I have often heard the statement that, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend.", and have even accepted its adaptation to college football - "My two favorite teams are Ohio State and whoever is playing Michigan." 

I believe Agape Love compels me to something a bit deeper.

Anyone who is hurt, exploited, neglected or ignored is my sister/brother.

If I indeed LOVE MY NEIGHBOR AS MYSELF, then I will no more want to see my neighbor (defined by Jesus in Luke 10:25-37 as even stranger or enemy) be hurt than I would want that for myself or my closest loved ones.  If I LOVE MY NEIGHBOR AS MYSELF, I will no more want to see my neighbor go without what he/she needs than I would want that for myself or my closest loved ones.

Jesus' teachings do not allow for us to only take care of "ourselves and our own".  Jesus' teachings do not allow us to callously exploit another so that we can have more for ourselves, neglect the needs of another that are clearly before us or exclude another from community because he/she is different.

So, for a politician to claim a faith in Jesus, and then actively write or uphold laws that hurt ANY of Jesus' sisters and brothers, who are his/her own sisters or brothers also... goes against Jesus.

For a business person to lay off employees to keep more profit for him/herself or stockholders, or to get bonuses as an executive, or pay them at a less than living wage, or keep them from getting healthcare coverage, or prevent them from living fully in any way... goes against Jesus.

For a voter to vote in folks who speak War over Diplomacy, Greed over Generosity, Hubris over Humility, Isolationism or Exclusivism over Inclusion, Injustice for some and Exemption for others, Exploitation and Inequality over Equity and Equality for all, keeping some down so that others may rise on their backs... GOES AGAINST JESUS.

We stand before Jesus.  There is no, "it's nothing personal, it's just business."  There is no, "only for me and my own."  There is no, "let them fend for themselves."  The command of Jesus to live Agape Love does not allow it.

"By their fruits you will know them."
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."
JESUS commands Agape Love for Neighbor (even stranger and enemy).
Jesus' sisters and brothers are OUR sisters and brothers.
It is all... we are all... CONNECTED.

Pastor Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment