Saturday, October 12, 2013

Enough IS Enough

I am a middle class person.
I have worked in my field (Pastoral Ministry), and related fields (Hospice) for over 27 years, most of which I earned very low wages.
My wife has worked in her field for 31 years, and is also a Pastor.
Together, we live comfortably by American standards, in opulence compared to MANY in the world
     and our own country.
We give our offerings to the small home church we pastor, 70% of which are given away in local (SW Atlanta), national (Common Ground - New Orleans) and international (Food for the Poor -
 Haiti) outreach.
We also support other congregations and causes that we believe help "the least of these".
I do not share this because I want your admiration or accolades, in fact, I believe I do not do as much
    as I should, given all that I have.
I share this because there are MANY who consider themselves Christian people, who claim to follow Jesus and love Jesus, who begrudge "the least of these" ANYTHING they get.  I share this because there are Christians who work to elect those who would systematically, intentionally and without conscience take more away from "the least of these".  I share this because there are Christian pastors and bishops who dupe their members, many of whom ARE "the least of these", to give their tithes (some, their last $10) so that God, the cosmic pump, will be primed to bless them with prosperity, and they have been doing that for decades now.  And those congregations of those pastors and bishops pay those pastors and bishops exorbitant salaries and build bigger barns (as in lavish facilities), rather than help their local or distant poor.  I share this because there are many, some desperate and some greedy, who have been led to believe this is faithfulness to the Jesus of the Gospels, whose concern and commands for the sake of the poor is very clear.
I share this because it sickens me and saddens me.  I would GLADLY pay more taxes, if our government that is elected to represent ALL of us, would EQUALIZE education, healthcare, employment, housing, transportation and safety in the land of "all (people) are created equal".  I would GLADLY pay a little more for my healthcare to see those with NONE get basic healthcare as a HUMAN RIGHT.  I would GLADLY give a bit more to "feed the hungry, clothe the naked, welcome (and not exploit and then deport) the stranger, and visit the sick and imprisoned (to liberate them both from their plight).
I am not wealthy, and I have worked a long time to have what I have, many years with very little to show for my efforts. 
I am also a FOLLOWER OF JESUS and JESUS' WAY.  I must submit my will to Jesus' Will for the world, and conform my Way to Jesus' way for me to be in THIS PART of God's Kingdom.
God promised DAILY BREAD - enough.  Most American Christians have MUCH MORE THAN ENOUGH... instead of being THANKFUL, SATISFIED and CONTENT with having more than enough, SOME will always want MORE, because MORE is out there - that is the nature of Greed and idolatry to wealth, power or prestige/position.  When that takes over our hearts and souls, then our concern for the poor, commanded by Jesus in Agape Love, is gone, because we cannot see past self - what I can get, what I can have, what I can become.  So we adopt political philosophies and economic principles, vote for and advocate only for OURSELVES, even at the expense of the most poor and vulnerable around us, even blaming them for their own victimization and scapegoating them for us not having more - always more... and we twist The Word to suit our desires...
What we are becoming is ruthlessly selfish and hatefully mean-spirited, while claiming to be people who follow Jesus.  That won't work.
Pastor Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment