Sunday, March 7, 2021

No sticks, no carrots

 John 3:14-21 (Numbers 21:8-9) and Ephesians 2:1-10 are the lectionary texts for Lent IV on next Sunday.

This Gospel text starts with Jesus comparing the sins of the Israelites, punished by God with poisonous snake bites and then given mercy by God through the lifting up of a bronze snake on a pole, to His imminent crucifixion and the salvation that would come from His being thus lifted up.

Then an incredible offering of Grace in God giving God's only Son out of love, to save us.

Then, a statement that God did not send the Son to condemn the world (in our sin), but to save the world through Jesus, with another statement about those who do not believe (in the name) being judged because they have chosen darkness over the light.

What a mixed bag!

The stick and the carrot.  No cheap Grace here!  So, we end up with theologies of personal salvation based on only believing on the name of Jesus, accepting Jesus as personal Lord and Savior, which to me seems like making Faith a Work.

So, then we have Ephesians telling us that by God's Mercy and Great Love we have been saved by Grace, which is not of our own doing, not of works in any way.

I have to go with Luther on this, though even Luther seemed to struggle with it.  We are not supposed to turn faith into a work in order to gain salvation.  Faith is a gift, we are told in the Word.  It is given by God to all.  Now, I might agree that some choose darkness over light in their lives, but I would maintain that it is not about the "name" of Jesus as much as the Good News of Jesus in which we are supposed to believe and which are supposed to live in Agape Love and Grace.  Many of those who claim the name, accept Jesus and personal Savior and believe on the name of Jesus seem to be quite cozy in the darkness of lies, greed, hatred, lust for power and desire for status for themselves at the expense of others.  Matthew's Gospel in 25:31-46 raises questions about their salvation, I believe.

Yes, I believe that the New Testament prophet, James is correct (sorry, young Luther) in writing that "faith, if it does not have works, is dead."  Faith is an action, even as Agape Love is committed action on behalf of the other.  OUT OF Faith, we live Agape Love and Grace, even as Jesus taught, commanded and modeled for us.  And it is by Grace through Faith that we are saved, according to Paul.  But Faith itself should not be considered a work toward salvation.  God gave it to us as a gift.  The Holy Spirit of God guides us, sometimes drives us to live it.  I want to have a living, active faith, even as I actively live the Agape Love that Jesus taught, commanded and modeled for me to live.  But as a person of faith, I leave my salvation squarely in God's hands and trust in God's loving mercy and Grace.  I live my faith as a RESPONSE to what God has given me in Jesus - mercy instead of punishment.  I live Agape Love with neighbor as an expression of the Agape Love I have for God, as Jesus teaches and commands me to do.  I do not want to be among the goats when Jesus comes back, to be sure.  But I do not believe that my salvation is based on some impersonal FORMULA of magic words, beliefs or actions on my part.  When asked when I was saved, I have often responded, "about two thousand years ago."  By "born from above" moment came in 1995, when I dedicated my life to living the Agape Love that Jesus taught, commanded and modeled for me out of love for God and neighbor.  

God's Grace has been given.  Faith is a gift.  My salvation is in God's hands.  Out of love for God and Neighbor (even stranger and enemy, and especially the most vulnerable - see Luke 10:25-37), I dedicate my life to actively living my faith in love.

I cannot earn my salvation.  Upon God's Grace I solely rely, and I believe that God is gracious and mercy, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.

I do not wallow in my unworthiness, either.  Jesus made me worthy of Grace and Love, and I receive what God will give me as a recipient with great humility, gratitude and joy.  I cannot make myself worthy because of sin.  I can be faithful to Jesus and Jesus' Way of being in the world.  Claiming the name, accepting Jesus as personal Lord and Savior and believing on the name of Jesus mean very little in that light - being faithful to the living JESUS' WAY OF AGAPE LOVE AND GRACE in the world.

To me, that is life with God, life as a follower of Jesus.

Pastor Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment