Sunday, April 18, 2021

LOVE in Truth and Action

 I John 3:16-24 is the Lectionary Epistle Text (with a LOT of Good News in it) Sunday, April 25.

Oh my.  There it is.

Reminiscent of the New Testament prophet, James (chapter 2), this is where the Good News of Agape and Grace hits the road.  Do we walk what we talk?  Are we committed, actively to the well-being of ALL people around us?  Is that commitment active?  Are we ACTING as we live the Agape Love commandment?  Agape is not feelings.  Phileos is about feelings for those of us or like us.  Eros is definitely about romantic feelings.  Philanthropia comes of feelings for humanity.  But Agape is ACTIVE COMMITMENT ON BEHALF OF THE OTHER, EVEN STRANGER AND ENEMY, AND ESPECIALLY THE MOST VULNERABLE (see Luke 10:25-37).  

"We know Agape by this..." - Jesus modeled it for us.  Selflessly, unconditionally and ACTIVELY Jesus lived Agape with us.

How can we say that God's Agape is in us, if we don't help a sister or brother in need?

We can SAY whatever we want.  We can quote the scriptures, we can offer marvelous prayers, we can share the Peace and we can profess our love for God and Neighbor, but Agape is not about words or speech.  It is all about ACTION.

Here is where it gets hard - we know we are living in the truth when our hearts condemn us - that tinge of conscience when we make it all about our own, personal salvation, our own prosperity, our own control over others' behaviors and our own status above others, while people around us are unjustly being denied enough food, medicine, justice and value in the world.  It is that still, small voice that says, maybe we shouldn't "otherize" them, or blame the victim.  Maybe it is wrong for me to think I can be right with God AND judge someone else for who they love.  Maybe I am on the wrong side in this thing?

It is about obeying Jesus' command to love God and Neighbor with heart, soul, mind and strength.  It is about believing in Jesus' Good News of Agape Love as a better way for the world, and faithfulness to God.  We abide in Jesus when we obey His commands.  The Spirit drives us to Him and His Good News.

I am convicted.  When I stereotype, judge, devalue, vilify, marginalize, disenfranchise or ignore others around me.  They are my sisters and brothers.  They are God's children.  If they have needs, I HAVE A NEED, because if they are in need, WE are in need.

Loving Neighbor as Self means that I no more want to see my Neighbor (stranger, enemy, most vulnerable) have pain or lack than I want that for myself.  (please read that again)

I certainly ACT when I am in need or in pain.  Agape Love demands that I ACT whenever someone around me is in need or pain.  

That is why Agape Love, at the center of the Good News of Jesus, is so Revolutionary.  Empire values more wealth for self, power over others and status above others.  It thrives in hatred and apathy.  Agape Love demands ENOUGH FOR ALL, SHARED POWER TOWARD EQUITY and EQUAL VALUE and WORTH among God's people.  It does not allow for hatred or apathy.  That is Jesus' Way.  If we are followers of Jesus, it will be OUR way in the world, this part of God's Kingdom, here and now.

AGAPE is LOVE in Truth and ACTION.

Pastor Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment