Sunday, May 25, 2014

Agape Love is my standard

Agape Love (active commitment on behalf of "the other") is what Jesus commanded.

Jesus especially taught, commanded and exemplified this love for those who did not "deserve" it, the "least" (most vulnerable among us) and even stranger and enemy (who Jesus defines as "neighbor"  Luke 10:25-37)...

I MUST believe that this Great Commandment is the standard that Jesus wants me to hold on how I live in this world... in fact, Jesus said it is THAT by which others will know I am HIS disciple... not my praise, worship, tithing or outward righteousness... but in that I Agape Love others... and, in fact, it is by how I treat others (especially the "least") that I am judged in the end (Matthew 25:31-46).

We who profess to follow Jesus... who are called by His Name... who claim Him as Savior... who praise and worship Him... are ON NOTICE...

Our attitudes, beliefs, philosophies, behaviors are all held to the Agape Loving Standard...
How we treat others around us, engage in politics and economics, view and act in society are all held to the Agape Loving Standard...

that gives me pause...
it is a tall order...
I will spend the rest of my life learning how to live this Agape Love...
because Jesus did not ever say, "Worship Me" or "Praise Me" or "Tithe Me", but Jesus DID say,
         "follow Me"... "Love the Lord your God... Love your neighbor AS YOURSELF"... "Do not
           judge"... "forgive"... "Repent (change your thinking) and believe in the Good News" - what
           Jesus taught, commanded and exemplified in the Gospels...
    Jesus DID SAY, "If you (Agape) love me, you will keep MY COMMANDMENTS."

Let's start there, shall we?
Pastor Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment