Tuesday, July 26, 2016

The Agape Love candidate

I believe that I must vote for the candidate who most exhibits the Agape Love that Jesus taught, commanded and modeled (active commitment on behalf of the other, even stranger or enemy) with "the least" who are the most vulnerable in our society. 

Government's role is to protect the most vulnerable, in the justice system, militarily and economically.  It is to regulate business so that people are not exploited or unable to buy what they need (food, water, housing, transportation, utilities, etc.) and make sure that people have access to living wage jobs, equal pay, affordable healthcare, equal education, equal justice, equal safety, equal rights and equitable treatment.

I believe that I must vote for the candidate who will stand and speak truth to power, rather than join it.  I believe that I must vote for the candidate who will stand with those who are marginalized, disenfranchised, vilified, scapegoated, downtrodden and exploited or abused.  I must vote for the candidate who makes sure the hungry are fed, the naked clothed, the sick and imprisoned cared for, the stranger (resident alien) welcomed.  I must vote for the one who will stand against GREED and for ENOUGH FOR ALL, the one who will stand against lust for POWER and for the DEMOCRATIC PROCESS.  I must vote for the one who will stand against PRESTIGE and POSITION for self as a goal, and for ADVOCACY for "the least" as THE goal. 

I believe this because I am a follower of Jesus. 
I must vote for the one who most resembles Jesus, regardless of what faith they profess.
I must vote for the one who most consistently lives that Jesus taught, commanded and modeled.
I must vote for the one who operates out of LOVE and not self-centeredness, fear, hatred, apathy or complacency, greed, lust for power or prestige/position.
I must vote for the one who will LOVE my LGBT sisters and brothers, my black and brown sisters and brothers, both citizens and resident aliens, my poor sisters and brothers, disabled sisters and brothers and foreign sisters and brothers.
I must vote for the candidate who will LOVE the creation and work to preserve it for ALL my sisters and brothers.
I must vote for the candidate who will not be about getting in and staying in power, but who will be about serving and doing the right thing when there is opportunity, even if it means not getting re-elected.
I must vote for the candidate who truly loves DEMOCRACY... a REAL Democracy, not a Relative one, and who only accepts Capitalism with equitable checks and balances and with LIMITS.
I must vote for the candidate who motivates and energizes young people and activists for justice, and who inspires other leaders to do the right thing for the right reasons and not what is most expedient for self.

I must vote for the candidate who most resembles Jesus and who most consistently lives that Jesus taught, commanded and modeled. (Yes, I know, but it was worth repeating)

Now if we only HAD a candidate like that this year, how would the people respond?
And if we had a candidate like that this year, how would corrupt politicians respond?
And if we had a candidate like that this year, how would status quo politicians respond?

I have waited my whole teen and adult life to truly, fully believe in a candidate without hesitation or reservation.  President Obama was VERY close, and given what he had to work with did remarkably well.  I thought maybe THIS was the year that would change our future - TRULY change it.

But alas, there IS NO NOMINATED CANDIDATE that any way closely resembles these criteria for my vote - we only have bad and DISASTROUS to choose from... again... still...

What is YOUR criteria, apart from the characteristics of the candidates left in this election?
Do either of them meet YOUR standard?

Pastor Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment