Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Agape Love

Agape Love is a commandment by Jesus for His followers.  It is not romantic love (eros) or familial love (phileos) or munificent love (philanthropia).  It is committed action on behalf of the other, even when sometimes that means self-sacrifice, and even when we don't feel like it.  We are commanded to live that love with God and neighbor, who Jesus defines as stranger and even enemy with the Parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37).  Loving neighbor as self means that I no more want to see my neighbor go without what he/she needs, than I would want that for myself or my loved ones.  It means I would no more want to see a stranger or enemy hurt than I would want that for myself or my loved ones.  (Matthew 7:12)  Yes, it is a tall order, but Jesus DID say, "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another AS I HAVE LOVED YOU." (John 13:34,35), and Jesus said that THAT is how others will know we are associated with Him... not our holiness, self-righteousness, prosperity, purity, worship and praise, strict adherence to the Law of Moses, selective use of it or anything else.  We are supposed to live the Agape Love with others that Jesus lived with us.  We are God's children, and therefore brothers and sisters with each other.  We need to treat our brothers and sisters as ones whom we love, or at the very least as ones we know God loves.  We have brothers and sisters, beloved children of God, who are hurting and in need, victims of injustice and exploitation, and oppressed in many ways.  If we love them, we will take committed action on their behalf and stand with them so that the mission of Jesus (Luke 4:18,19) (as well as Matthew 28:16-20) will be fulfilled.  If we love God, we will be their advocates and stand with them, giving voice to the voiceless and community power to the individually powerless, because in doing that we are acting for Jesus (Matthew 25:31-46).  If we refuse them, we refuse Jesus.  Help from your abundance.  Speak justice to power in love.  Treat others as you would like to be treated (Luke 6:27-31; Matthew 7:12), yes even enemies.  Do not judge others, but rather accept them and engage in committed action on their behalf (Luke 6:37-38).  Loving neighbor as self means giving to them what you want to receive for your self.  The world around you will be a better place, because you will be a better person.  Encourage each other to keep Jesus' commandment to live Agape Love, so that you do not hear Jesus say, "Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I tell you?" (Luke 6:46)
Continue to strive to follow Him, my brothers and sisters.
Pastor Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment