Thursday, January 12, 2012

People of the Way of Jesus

I am a Person of the Way of Jesus.
I distinguish this from being a Christian, because of the vast umbrella under that claim, and because many of those who walk under that banner do not reflect what I believe or embrace.
I do not ONLY worship and praise Jesus as personal Savior.  I do not ONLY give my offerings.
I do not ignore what Jesus taught and exemplified, but strive to follow it even though it may be hard to practice.
I am a Disciple of Jesus.  I am a student/follower at Jesus' feet.  I love Jesus' teachings and practices centered on Agape Love among foreigners, unbelievers, people who believed differently, the religious community, "the least" in society, strangers and even those considered enemies.  I love the spiritual discipline of seeking out what Jesus said as fulfiller of the Law and Prophets, and how it applies to the world, our society and my personal life on a daily basis.  I want to submit to Jesus' teachings on how the world could be a better place if we applied Agape Love to all things societal, political, economic, etc., etc..  I want to conform my life to how Jesus practiced Agape Love as an example of how it can be lived and change the world.  I love Jesus, so I must follow what He taught and exemplified in my life.  I love Neighbor (even stranger and enemy), so I must suspend any attitudes, prejudices, bigotries and stereotypes that would lead me to live anything other than that love in my encounters with others.  I believe in Jesus' mission to "the least", and sharing the Good News to "the poor", freedom to the oppressed and the acceptable day of the Lord (Luke 4) which means, according to the Prophets and Jesus a day of turning around the realities of the world in order to align worldly practices with God's will... for some, most distant from God's will, it will mean unpleasantness... for others, whose lives have reflected God's will, it will mean the fulfillment of the justice and equity which they love...
I am a pastor.  I have been for 25 years.  I have served in a suburban church (ministry in context), a small town church (internship), a rural parish and a number of inner-city parishes.  I have seen how people embrace Jesus as Savior and ignore His commandments and teachings as Lord.  I have seen how people claim the name and turn "Christianity" into an American civil religion.  I have seen how people justify their disdain for people of other races, ethnicities, cultures, sexual orientations, religious practices and economic statuses with "The Bible", while ignoring what Jesus said (and in some instances, ignored out of its insignificance).  I have seen how the church in America has remained silent in the face of grossly immoral practices of greed, while straining to see around that log to find sin in peoples' personal lives and loves.  I have witnessed as people who claim the name of Jesus practice active hatred toward "those people", whoever they might be for them.  I have openly wept over the social, political, religious, economic and individual practices of our nation's people as we have become more selfish, ruthless, hateful, mean-spirited, exploitative, arrogant and intolerant with others.  I have also witnessed some beautiful believers who practiced what they proclaimed and touched many lives with their sincere love.  I have seen known many believers who have spoken justice to power and have stood as advocates for those with no power or voice.  I have worked with people who humbly served those most vulnerable among them.  I have been moved by their devotion and love.  I am committed to putting the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5) out in the world around me, so that it becomes a kinder, more loving, equitable and just place.
I will direct my writing and other activities to the national scene, but I will also work actively in the West end of Atlanta, where I live.  I will lead worship among The People of the Way of Jesus, teach what Jesus taught as fulfiller of the Law and Prophets as we have His lessons in the Gospels, pray for my community, nation and world, organize people to find their voice and use their power in love and self-control, and work for justice, equity, the recognition of equality and peace.   I will not reflect the culture, but address it with the Gospel of Jesus, because I am a Person of the Way of Jesus.
I will finish my book JESUS, WHAT DO YOU WANT?, and get it published.
I will lead prayer during Lent in our home with neighbors in the West end of Atlanta, and start holding Worship services again on The Resurrection of our Lord (April 8), offer a community meal ministry starting in the summer and strive to reach out with the Good News of Jesus to the poor, oppressed, restrained and strive to live Kingdom values.  Anyone interested in joining us?
Singing the Good News, Prayer, Agape Meals, Holy Communion, discussion of the proclamation of the Gospel, community meals, life skill coaching, community organizing, working toward justice in housing, jobs, healthcare, education, the justice system and safety are good things to be about for followers of Jesus, don't you think?
Join us.  Come on in, the water is fine!  :-)
With love in Christ Jesus,
Pastor Jamie

2 comments:

  1. Wow Jamie once again you blow me away!!! That sounds like a Mission Statement...lol!!! You make me tired just reading about all the activities!!! I think I will concentrate on reaching and teaching young people...my God given passion!! 3 in 5 youth who grew up in the church will leave and never return...why?? Could it be for the reasons you expressed here?? A lack of Agape Love...people who acknowledge Jesus with their lips then ignore Him with their lifestyle??? I think so!!! Where is the Love?? Justice?? Peace???(not in the church)
    I live by the belief that leadership of any kind must be "hands on" so I applaud you for your resolution to be proactive!!!
    AS always you and yours are in my thoughts and prayers!!! God Bless you my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each one reach one, my friend! We have been blessed to be a blessing. I have been lifted up by others and want to be one who lifts others up... to say that this life is all about what I can get seems empty to me and devoid of any kind of integrity of compassion and Agape Love. I believe we need to combat the trends to be self-concerned only, ignoring the needs of others who clearly did NOT have the equal playing field that some claim they have... reaching to give, not a hand out, but a hand up... I have lived in poverty and I now live with relative prosperity and am greatly satisfied and thankful for it... out of gratitude to the one who has made it all possible, I will strive to reach out to others who have not been so blessed, to be that instrument through whom they may be blessed...

    ReplyDelete