Sunday, January 22, 2012

I will put up, not shut up

Jesus, fulfiller of the Law and Prophets (Matthew 5:17)... is my Authority.
   I CHOOSE to follow Jesus.  I did not choose to believe in Him, because Faith is a gift and the Holy Spirit DRIVES me to believe in Him.  I do not actively reject Jesus, but live as I was created to live, in faith.  I follow Jesus because I believe in Him, yes, but beyond that because I believe what He taught and exemplified makes for a better world for ALL people.  I believe that if we all lived what Jesus taught and exemplified, our nation and world would be a better place politically, economically, spiritually, ecologically and socially.  I submit to Jesus as my Lord and strive to live as Jesus would have me live in the world.  It makes sense to me.
   Because Jesus is my authority, fulfiller of the Law and Prophets as attested to in the account of His transfiguration (Matthew 17:1-13), at which His disciples are told to "Listen to HIM", even above Moses (Law) and Elijah (Prophets), I listen to HIS interpretation of the Law in the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5:21-7:27) and do not use the Old Covenant Law as an excuse to hate, take vengeance, live out of greed, make my spiritual life about appearances, objectify others in lust, judge others or believe that it is alright to kill ANYONE.  I strive to conform my Will to what Jesus wants for the world around me.
   Jesus made Loving God with all we have and Loving Neighbor as we love our selves the Greatest Commandment (Luke 10:25-37) and fulfillment of The Law, going on to teach in the Parable of the Good Samaritan that our Neighbor is both enemy and stranger.  I strive to live as one who believes that I no more want to see my neighbor (even stranger or enemy) go without what he/she needs or be hurt than I would want that for my self.
   Jesus said that we are supposed to "repent (change your mind and way of living) and believe in the Good News." (Mark 1:15)  That was His first imperative statement as recorded in the first chapter of the first written Gospel.  It is a command.  I believe in the Good News that Jesus came to bring as He shared it in Luke 4:18-19, quoting Isaiah 61 and 58 as a fulfillment of the Prophets.  His Agape Love is ACTION... committed action on behalf of others, especially the most vulnerable in our midst, as defined by Jesus, my authority.
   Jesus said that if I continue in His Word, I am truly His disciple (John 8:31).  Jesus said that if I love Him, I will keep His commandments (John 14:15 and 23).  Jesus said that others will know that I am His disciple, not in that I am more holy, pure, blessed, favored, powerful, charismatic or wealthy, but in that I have love for others (John 13:35).  Jesus wished that I live in His Word which is living in Him, keeping His commandments as part of living in His love, so that His joy will be in me (John 15:7-10).  Jesus also said, "Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord' and do not do what I tell you to do?" (Luke 6:46)  Jesus wants me to do what He taught and exemplified.  I strive to do what Jesus tells me to do as I have it especially in His imperative statements to me as recorded in the Gospels, our best written record of what Jesus taught and exemplified.
   I believe it does not do the world any good, and is not a faithful following of Jesus for me to worship and praise Jesus, give my offerings to the church, pray and bask in the glow of a wonderful personal salvation by God's Grace, if I do not strive to follow what Jesus taught and exemplified as recorded in the Gospels.
   I do believe in Jesus.  I therefore desire to follow Jesus in how I live in the world around me.  I do not believe I am faithful in embracing Jesus as Savior, unless I also submit to Him as Lord of my life.  That is why I call myself a Person of The Way of Jesus.  I believe in Jesus' Way and strive to follow it in my life.

   I invite you, even if you do not believe in Jesus as God's Son or Savior, to follow what Jesus taught and exemplified as we have it in the Gospels.  It will make the world around YOU a better place.  His teachings and examples are wonderful examples for a more loving, just and peaceful world.
   I invite you, especially if you DO accept Jesus as personal Savior, to follow Him as Lord.  It is about you and Jesus, just not ALL about you and Jesus.  Jesus' teachings and examples COMMAND His followers to live Agape Love in the world around them.  I admonish you to live Jesus' Agape Love in how you are in business, politics, family, society, church, the world and in who you are within your heart and mind.  I commend you to conform your will, attitudes and behaviors to what Jesus taught and exemplified, and submit to Him as your authority in how to live your life.

I will put up and not shut up.
Pastor Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment