Monday, February 25, 2013

I cannot... therefore, I will

I cannot dehumanize another without diminishing my own humanity.
I cannot demonize another without giving into my own, inner demons.
I cannot objectify another without disconnecting from my humanness.
I cannot vilify another without becoming a villain.
I cannot victimize another without hurting my own soul.
I cannot oppress another without participating in an unjust system.
I cannot exploit another without losing my integrity and honor.
I cannot hate another without being toxic to myself.
I cannot hold another down without staying down with him or her.
I cannot abuse another without being that which I abhor.
I cannot manipulate another without being less genuine.
I cannot ignore another without the absence of love within myself.
I cannot hurt another without doing damage to my own soul.
I cannot attack another without being offensive.
I cannot willfully offend another without being repugnant.

Therefore, I will
actively commit to the other, and give selfless love
treat others as I would like to be treated
offer the respect and dignity that I would like to receive
share compassion with others with no concern of their "merit"
live empathy with others based upon their need alone
lift up others who have fallen
build up others who have been torn down
come to understand others who are different from myself
celebrate others for who they are
encourage others who have found a different path that works for them
serve others selflessly as an act of love
advocate for others who need a supportive voice and presence
stand with others who cannot stand alone
live without malice, guile or hatred in my heart
live Agape Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Generosity, Faithfulness, Gentleness
    and Self-Control

Pastor Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment