Friday, August 19, 2011

Jesus' Authority

In His first recorded words (Mark 1:15... 1st Gospel written, 1st chapter), Jesus COMMANDED (imperative statement) that we "Repent, and believe in the Gospel."  Repent (metanoia), means to change one's mind... presumably so that one's life, direction will change... change the way one sees or understands things... change one's perspective on things... and believe in the Good News OF JESUS... what He would preach, teach and command... believe what He tells us as The Messiah... the one who ushers in The Kingdom of God...
      stay with me...
Jesus said He came to fulfill the Law and Prophets (Matthew 5:17).
      stay with me...
At His Transfiguration, as Moses and Elijah (Law and Prophets) stood with Him, God's voice was heard saying, "This is my beloved son with whom I am well pleased; listen to HIM."  Even GOD says He is to be listened to AS the Law and Prophets now... (Matthew 17:5)
     stay with me...
Jesus fulfilled the Law and Prophets in TWO COMMANDMENTS:  Love God with all you have, and Love your Neighbor as yourself.  With the same lesson in Luke (10:25-28),  Neighbor is defined in the Parable of the Good Samaritan as STRANGER and ENEMY.
     stay with me...
Jesus said, "If you continue in MY WORD, you are truly my disciples."  John 8:31
     stay with me...
Jesus said, "If you love me, you will keep MY COMMANDMENTS." John 14:15
     stay with me...
Jesus said, "If a person loves me, he/she will keep MY WORDS."  John 14:23
     please stay...
Jesus said, "Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I tell you?  Luke 6:46

As a Christian, I cannot only give Jesus my praise and worship, for that is not what He commanded.
As a Christian, I cannot ignore what Jesus taught and exemplified in the Gospels, our best record of what
      the Jesus of the Gospels did and taught.
Therefore, as a Christian...
      I cannot hate my enemy, for He COMMANDS that I love my enemy.
      I cannot ignore or hurt the poor, for He taught me that to do so is not faithful (Dives, Rich Fool, Rich
           young ruler), and that my SALVATION is at least in part dependent upon how I feed the hungry,
           clothe the naked, visit the sick and imprisoned and welcome the stranger, for when I help or
           refuse them, I help or refuse JESUS (Matthew 25:31-46).
      I cannot treat strangers in the land badly!  As I treat strangers in the land ("illegal aliens"), so I am
           treating Jesus.  I cannot want them to be deported, or work toward that!  (Matthew 25:31-46)
      I cannot cause a child to sin by withholding an education, food, security, employment for their
          parents... for to do that sets them up to be desperate and do desperate things. (Matthew 18:5,6)
      I cannot wish ill for anyone so that I might prosper... love your neighbor AS YOUR SELF.
      I cannot judge someone who is different from myself.  (Matthew 7:1-5)
      I cannot value worldly wealth over Kingdom values like love, peace, grace, kindness... etc.
          (Matthew 6:19)
      I must take care of His people (John 6; John 21).
      I must deny my self, take up my cross and FOLLOW HIM. (Matthew 16)

We need more Christians.
We need more Christians who will Follow Him!
We need more Christians in politics, business and church, who will write laws, conduct business and be
       the Christian movement in the world out of Kingdom values, the way Jesus taught us!
We need more Christians who will stand with those whom Jesus loves!
We need more Christians who will speak out, act out and get out the vote for those who WILL follow
      Jesus' way of being in the world!
Jesus is Savior.  He is also LORD.  Will YOU follow Him?  Will you teach others who claim His name
      how to follow Him?  Will you encourage them to do that?  Will you demand that they do it, for the
      sake of "the least of these", who are HIS brothers and sisters, and YOURS?
I want to be a FOLLOWER of JESUS in the world... the salt and light... to change the world around me.
How about you/
Pastor Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment